For patients who are missing one or more of their natural teeth, dental implants represent the premier method of restoring form, function, and health to the mouth. Implant-supported crowns, bridges, and dentures are the only tooth restorations that replicate every part of the missing tooth, from root to cusps. When you have dental implants placed at the Brooklyn or Staten Island, NY office of Dr. Alex Parshin, you will emerge from treatment with the ability to bite, chew, speak, and smile with renewed ease and confidence.
Dental implants have the potential to improve your self-esteem and quality of life as few treatments in medicine can. When you entrust your dental implant procedure to Parshin Dental, you will further benefit from the peace of mind of knowing that Dr. Parshin is a fellow of the prestigious International Congress of Oral Implantologists (ICOI). In order to achieve the designation of fellowship, Dr. Parshin had to complete a rigorous two-year course of advanced education and training in implant dentistry. As an ICOI fellow, he is recognized both locally and globally as a leader in education, research, and clinical experience in the field of oral implantology.
If you are interested in finding out whether you are a good candidate for dental implants, we invite you to read more about this exceptional treatment available at our Brooklyn and Staten Island practice and then contact Parshin Dental to schedule your initial consultation today.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are titanium posts that are embedded into the jawbone, where they act as artificial roots for replacement teeth. Once the implants are placed, they begin to fuse together with the bone through a process called osseointegration. Osseointegration is made possible by the fact that the human body does not identify titanium as a foreign substance; in essence, it cannot distinguish between dental implants and natural tooth roots. As a result, dental implants are highly unlikely to be rejected and, in the vast majority of cases, become an integral part of the patient’s anatomy.
Because dental implants are anchored by the jawbone, they are able to provide the strongest, most stable, and most durable support for crowns, bridges, and dentures that is currently available. While the restorations may have to be replaced every decade or so, the implants themselves could potentially last for the patient’s lifetime.
What are the benefits of having dental implants placed?
Dental implants offer a multitude of unique benefits compared to other methods of replacing missing teeth:
- Fully restored oral health: When you lose one of your natural teeth, your body interprets that loss as a sign that the gum and jawbone tissues that once supported the tooth are no longer in need of nutrients and other vital resources. As a result, these tissues fall into disrepair and begin to degrade. This can lead to a host of other oral health problems, ranging from increased vulnerability to infections to severe orthodontic issues. However, when dental implants are used to replace missing teeth, the body halts the gum and jawbone degradation process, and the mouth returns to a healthier state.
- A means of replacing individual teeth without relying on other teeth for support: An implant-supported crown can be used to replace a single missing tooth without having to rely on surrounding natural teeth for support. Conversely, when a traditional fixed dental bridge is used to replace a single missing tooth, the natural teeth on either side of the gap have to be shaved down in order to accommodate the crowns that hold the bridge in place. While fixed dental bridges remain useful in the replacement of missing teeth, implant-supported crowns represent the only technique for replacing individual missing teeth that does not require the support of healthy natural teeth.
- A completely stable method of securing dentures: Traditional removable dentures, regardless of how meticulously they are crafted to fit within a patient’s mouth, are always at risk of shifting out of place or slipping at inopportune times. Implant-supported dentures are completely secure and cannot shift or slip. Patients are able to eat, speak, and smile with the same confidence they would have with a mouth filled with their own natural teeth.
What are the benefits of having your dental implants placed by Dr. Alex Parshin?
If you do an online search for dentists who offer “dental implants,” it will appear as though virtually every cosmetic dentist in the region provides implant dentistry services. When you take a closer look at a description of the services they actually provide, however, you will find that what most of these dentists actually offer is dental implant restoration. In other words, they will provide you with the crown, bridge, or set of dentures that will be attached to the implants themselves, but they will have to refer you out to a local oral surgeon for the actual placement of the implants.
At Parshin Dental, every stage of the dental implant procedure is performed by Dr. Alex Parshin. From your initial consultation to the follow-up appointments after your restorations have been placed, you will be working with one dentist and one team while traveling to a single office location. This will ultimately save you time, money, and the anxiety of having to establish a rapport with an entirely new group of practitioners.
Furthermore, when you entrust your dental implant procedure to Dr. Parshin and the Parshin Dental team, you will benefit from:
- Diagnostic CT scanning: The success of any dental implant procedure depends on the meticulousness of, and the technology used during, the planning stage. Dr. Parshin uses a CT scan to determine the exact dimensions of the jawbone and such structures as nerves and sinuses. He uses the CT scans to construct extraordinarily precise, computer-generated 3D models of the patient’s mouth.
- Guided implant placement: Using the CT scans and sophisticated computer software, Dr. Parshin creates an intricate three-dimensional model of the patient’s mouth. This model allows him to select exactly the right width and length of implant and place it at precisely the correct angle to maximize the bone-to-implant ratio. It also allows him to avoid coming into contact with nerves or sinuses. Guided implant placement represents the safest, most accurate method of performing the dental implant procedure, and Dr. Parshin is one of the rare dentists in the region to use this technology.
- Working with a fellow of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists: In order to be awarded the status of fellow of the ICOI, Dr. Parshin had to have, among other things, completed numerous implant cases, completed at least 75 hours of continuing education in implant dentistry, and published at least three articles or presented at least three lectures on implant dentistry. In order to maintain this status, he was required to accumulate another 75 hours or more of implant education within five years of achieving the designation.
When you choose to have your dental implants placed by Dr. Parshin, you are choosing to entrust your oral health to a highly respected leader in the field of implant dentistry.
Learn More about Dental Implants and Their Benefits
If you would like to learn more about dental implants and how you could benefit from their placement at our Brooklyn or Staten Island office, please contact Parshin Dental today. We would be pleased to answer any questions you might have and assist you in scheduling a consultation with our esteemed implant dentist, Dr. Alex Parshin.